ESL - English as a Second Language
Non-credit ESL classes
- Classes are for immigrants, refugees, permanent residents, and U.S. citizens who are at least 18 years old.
- All new students must attend an orientation.
- Classes are held at Highline Community College and various off-campus sites.
- There is a $25 tuition fee for the quarter. Tuition waivers are available.
- Individuals holding temporary visas such as International students, business travelers, or tourists cannot attend these classes.
- See the International Programs website for English language training options.
New students must attend an orientation where they will complete a Highline application and an English skills examination, and then register for class. Students who have been out of basic ESL for more than 6 months, or students new to Washington state, are also considered new students.
Orientation schedule (campus map & directions)
- Tuesdays 6:00 p.m. ~ Highline campus - building 19, Room
- Thursdays (except holidays) 2:00 p.m. ~ Highline campus
- building 19, Room
- Fridays (except holidays) 9:00 a.m. ~ Highline campus - building 19, Room 102
About the ESL Orientation Session
- The orientation takes about 2 and 1/2 hours.
- Please arrive on time.
- Bring picture ID.
- If you are under the age of 18, you will also need to bring a release form signed by your school district administration.
- During the orientation you will take the CASAS test to assess your reading, listening and writing skills.
- During the orientation you will register for classes.
- Children are not allowed at the orientation – please make other childcare arrangements.
- Friends or family cannot stay with you once the testing begins.
- For information on ESL, call 206-592-3297 or email us.
- Para las clases de inglés como segundo idioma o información sobre Highline Community College marque 206-592-3750.
- If you have a disability that requires special accommodations, contact Access Services after your assessment appointment either in person at building 99 or by phone at 206-592-3857.